Pages

Monday, June 25, 2012

Exercise Won't Kill You

I believe a few things about working out. . . 

  1. You have to love the workout.  Love it and you will continue to do it. 
  2. You have to love WHERE you work out.  I was not a fan of my gym.  I found a better-than-fabulous fitness studio that I am a big (Ok, HUGE) fan of.  
  3. It should be fun.  But, fun does not equal easy.  If it's easy you're not working hard enough.  
My workouts are not ladylike.  Not even close.  There is grunting, cursing, inappropriate conversation (when we're able to talk), and sweat. Lots of sweat.   Sometimes there is vomit, or the threat of it.  There is also laughter, encouragement, and more strength than I've ever seen in one room. 

My main (and preferred) workout is Beyond Barre.  I'm loyal to Barre because it's the first workout that I have ever truly loved. It's also the workout that finally started giving me results. This isn't a little girl's ballet class.  It's fast paced, constant movement, and every class is different.   I adore every aspect of this class even when I'm growling at the instructor or praying it will be over soon.  I love hearing Heather remind me that my head is part of my spine and to use my abdominals; Bekah Lynn saying, "you can do it, mamas" and "show me the ugly face."  I love the way Kelly  confuses the crap out of me with all her choreography and then laughs with me. I love the way Kelli  tells us to smile right when she knows she's killing us and the disclaimer before going down on the glide board ("If you're going to puke, pass out, or die this is where you need to come.  This is your rest position.  Now push out into plank.") I love Mimi's playlist and Gail's accessories (that magic circle is hardcore). More than any of that, I love that these women have gotten to know me and have been part of my journey. They push me in ways I never thought  possible.  They also recognize that I know my own limitations and respect them.  A few of them have learned when I'm cheating and will call me out on it; I love that, too. 


Next in line of preferred workouts is TRX.  I have never felt stronger in my entire life than when I finish.  TRX is hard core.  I've seen grown men vomit in this class.  After my first class I thought I was going to die.  I could barely walk the next day and forget raising my arms. I found muscles that I didn't know existed. There is no "I can't" in TRX (the punishment is the devil, just don't say can't. Trust me).  After a few months of healing from an injury and fixing poor time management habits, I was able to return to TRX this week.   As usual, Bekah Lynn kicked my rear.  I felt nauseous and powerful all at once.  It was awesome and I loved every minute of it. 


Stretching at the end of TRX


I have also dabbled in Pilates and Yoga.  I love both of these classes.  Pilates is about 1000 times more difficult than it appears.  I thought it would be this nice, easy class where I get all stretched out and relaxed.   Wrong, so very wrong.  I sweat as hard in Pilates as I do in every other class. There is nothing easy about Pilates.  If you haven't tried Pilates, do it.  Do it soon.  Your body will thank you (when it's finished being mad).  


Yoga is a class I didn't think I'd be able to get through.  I have an incredibly busy (semi-ADD) brain.  It takes a lot to quiet my brain and get me relaxed so I assumed I'd fail.   As it turns out, I AM able to quiet my mind long enough to concentrate on yoga.  It helps with the tight muscles, it calms my busy brain, and reminds me to find peace in my sometimes chaotic life.  Just more proof that you never know until you try


I'm one of those people that never thought she'd like group classes.  Turns out I was wrong on that one, too. Being in a class with other strong, smart, funny women is empowering.  Throw in a healthy dose of competition and it gets even more interesting.  Factor in that no topic is off limits at the studio and I guarantee you will laugh during your workouts.  I think it should be like that.  Working out doesn't have to be boring.  You should be enjoying yourself during your workout.  It's okay to laugh; it's okay to have fun.  It's okay to sweat and not be cute.  It's even okay to grunt, cuss, and pray that it will be over.  But at the end, smile and be proud of what you did. 




To learn more, click on the links. . . 


TRX

Beyond Barre  (this is the video that made me want to try Barre.  Thanks, Carolyn)

Island Fitness Studio (I have an unnatural love for this studio and the women that run it. Go there; thank me later.  Yes, they know of my love.  No, they didn't pay me.)

For the Facebook lovers in all of us:  Island Fitness' FB page



A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise.  ~A.A. Milne












No comments:

Post a Comment