Pages

Friday, June 15, 2012

Another post about running

I admitted that I liked it; that I liked the way it made me feel.  I bought expensive shoes (more than one pair) and pants that didn't fall down when I moved.  I committed to train.  I found a running partner that puts up with whininess and over analysis of every single pain.  I asked questions.  And then I asked more questions.  I secretly looked at Runner's World magazine wondering if it was okay for me to purchase such a thing.  You see, I didn't feel like a "real" runner.  Until last night.
In all my running glory; talking of course

Last night I ran my third 5K.  My one and only goal was to beat last week's time.  I didn't care by how much; just wanted to beat it.  When I finished, exhausted and sweaty, I looked at the results board and saw that I did not meet my goal. This did not please tired, sweaty Carie.  (This is the point where I apologize to the patient gentlemen that compete with me.  You put up with a lot and rarely tell me to shut it even though you should.  You are amazing people.  Thank you.) Ever encouraging of my love for this activity, Steve and Pete reminded me that this week was hotter than last.  Since I'm new to this, I believe every word the two of them say. It still doesn't make me feel better. 

Once I got a few bottles of water in my system and laughed at the others eating frozen  popsicles like little kids, I was able to focus. I focused on the positives of this race and tried to forget times. I ran a steady pace until mile 2 when I picked it up (passing people made me feel a little mean) until the finish.  I didn't stop like I did last week.  I maintained my breathing  and didn't think about anything except finishing.  I was even able to picture my running partner telling me not to siss out, that I could do this.  Despite the slower time, I was proud of myself.  

Since I placed sixth last week, I was resigned to not getting an award this week.  For reasons unknown to me (punishment from the Universe for something, I'm sure), my age group was last to be announced.  They announced fifth and her time was slower than mine.  WHAT?! Someone was slower.  They announced fourth; and it wasn't me. This is where I got really frustrated, hit my friend, and said, "No! That's supposed to be me!"  Apparently I misread my finish time. . . because the next name they announced was mine!  THIRD PLACE!  I cannot express the glee over this announcement.  I also cannot deny that I acted ridiculous (more thanks to my friends for not judging and capturing every moment in pictures). 

Here's what I learned last night. . . 
  •  I am a runner.  I became a runner the first time I said, "I kind of like this."  (Thanks again to the person that reminded me.)
  •  I REALLY like running.  I also REALLY like winning!
  • My competitive streak goes away as soon as I tie my running shoes.  I tend to forget until around mile 3 that it's a race.  
I can't guarantee this will be my last post about running.  In fact, I don't want to even attempt to make that promise.  If you had told me a year ago that not only would I run more than one 5K, but that I'd place in one, I would have laughed (or cried) in your face.  My mom always said I could do anything as long as I set my mind to it. . . she was right.  
     

 
Third place! 

1 comment: